A commercial truck accident in Miami, FL, can cause devastating injuries and financial losses for the victim and their family. Our Miami truck accident lawyers at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers fight to get you the compensation you deserve for a truck accident claim.
Truck accidents occur for many reasons. An oversize load can be extremely dangerous. We can hold the truck driver, trucking company, loader, and all other parties responsible for the safe transportation of the load responsible for negligence and wrongdoing that causes accidents. Since 2007, our lawyers have fought for the rights of accident victims and their families.
How Our Miami Personal Injury Lawyers Help You After an Oversize Load Truck Accident
With over 100 years of combined legal experience, our Miami truck accident attorneys have considerable knowledge and skills. In addition, our law firm has the resources to fight the trucking industry and its insurance providers.
Our law firm has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in settlements and judgments for our clients. We want to do the same for you. Our team, which includes Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyers, will fight to recover the maximum compensation available for your case.
When you hire our award-winning legal team to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Conduct an independent investigation to determine the cause of the truck crash
- Work with accident reconstructionists and trucking industry experts as necessary
- Filing insurance claims and handling all matters and communication with the insurance company, trucking company, and other parties
- Monitor the statute of limitations for the deadline to file a truck accident lawsuit
- Obtain copies of the accident reports from state and federal agencies that investigated the crash
- Defend you against allegations of contributory fault and failing to mitigate damages
- Negotiate a top-dollar settlement agreement
- File a lawsuit and aggressively advocate for you in court
Call now to schedule your free consultation with one of our experienced truck accident attorneys in Miami, Florida.
Florida Restrictions on Commercial Trucks
Under Florida law, a commercial vehicle is a vehicle that:
- Has a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more;
- Uses motor fuel or special fuel to operate on public roads; and,
- Is not operated or owned by the federal government.
However, there could be instances where a load exceeds the maximum height and weight. If so, the motor carrier must apply for an oversized load permit from the Florida Department of Transportation.
Even though the motor carrier has a permit to transport an oversized load, it is still responsible for the safe transport of the cargo. The permit only gives the company permission to transport an oversized load. It does not release the company from liability for accidents.
What Causes Oversized Load Accidents in Miami?
Oversized load accidents can occur for many reasons. Some of the common causes of accidents involving oversized loads include:
- The truck driver ignores warnings or underestimates the height or width of a load causing the truck to be stuck under an overpass
- The added weight and height decrease the level of control the driver has over the truck
- The additional weight reduces the stopping time for the truck
- The driver did not have adequate training to transport an oversized load
- The loader, truck driver, and other responsible parties failed to inspect the load before transport
- Inadequate measures to secure the oversized load to prevent shifting or falling off the truck
- The truck driver must travel unfamiliar roads to avoid bridges and overpasses
- The heavier load could increase the risk of rollover and jackknife accidents
- The added weight could increase the risk of tire blowouts
We carefully analyze the cause of the truck crash to identify each party responsible for the load. Our legal team wants to ensure that we pursue every party that could be liable for your damages.
What Damages Can I Receive for an Oversized Load Truck Accident in Miami?
Truck accidents cause catastrophic injuries, including permanent impairments and disabilities. The damages can be extensive. An accident victim may require lifelong care and treatment, and they may never be able to return to work.
Economic damages you could receive for an oversized load truck accident claim include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Long-term nursing care and personal care
- Lost wages
- Modifications to a home or car because of a permanent disability
- Help with childcare
- Diminished earning capacity
The pain and suffering caused by a truck crash can also be substantial. You can recover compensation for your non-economic damages. They include compensation for permanent impairments, disfigurement, and a decrease in your quality of life.
Our legal team evaluates every case to determine if punitive damages are justified. Punitive damages “punish” defendants for gross negligence and intentional torts. If so, the value of your claim could increase substantially.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Miami Oversize Load Truck Accident Lawyers
What appears to be an accident could be a crash caused by negligence or other wrongdoing. So before you accept a settlement offer or the insurance company’s opinion regarding your legal rights, call us first. Our Miami oversize load truck accident lawyers can meet with you for free to discuss your case and options for recovering money for a claim.