Have you suffered serious injuries in a truck accident in Miami, Florida? If your accident was caused by someone else, you might be entitled to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Call (305) 937-0191 to discuss your case with a Miami truck accident lawyer at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers.
Contact our office to schedule a free meeting with a truck accident lawyer to see how we can help you.
Table of Contents
How Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Truck Accident in Miami, FL
Commercial vehicle accidents often cause serious injuries — usually for the occupants of a passenger vehicle. If you are injured, you need compensation as soon as possible to cover your medical expenses and lost wages. However, the trucking company and their insurance company are not on your side. They will challenge your claim by blaming you and minimizing the severity of your injuries.
You need our experienced Miami personal injury attorneys to level the playing field and pursue your best interests.
Here is how we can help you after your truck collision:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into your crash to gather evidence and identify liable parties
- Work with top specialists and experts to strengthen your case
- Fight back against the insurance company’s attempts to blame you
- Calculate all the damages you suffered
- Negotiate to reach a fair settlement with the insurer
- Seek maximum damages from a jury if negotiations are unsuccessful
You pay nothing unless we get reimbursement on your behalf. Contact one of our legal team today to schedule your no-cost meeting with a truck accident attorney.
Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers was founded in 2007 by Sagi Shaked Esq. to protect the rights of accident victims in Florida. Attorney Shaked has been recognized as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer and was one of the youngest lawyers in the U.S. to achieve a multi-million-dollar verdict. He and the attorneys on his legal team have recovered millions of dollars for victims in South Florida.
How Common Are Truck Accidents in Miami?
Tractor-trailers, 18 wheelers, semi trucks and large commercial trucks represent only 4% of the vehicles on Florida roads. However, they are responsible for 14% of fatal accidents nationwide.
Truck drivers are well protected in a collision. After all, they are driving the largest vehicles on the road. However, occupants in smaller vehicles do not fare as well in large truck accidents — they account for 96% of all fatalities in such accidents.
There were almost 44,000 commercial truck accidents in Florida in 2019, which accounted for 10% of the state’s traffic fatalities. In 2018, there were 321 truck crash fatalities in Florida. Our state has the third-highest number of truck accident deaths after Texas (664) and California (352).
These tragedies can happen in a blink of an eye, that’s why as a driver it’s critical to always be aware of all the hazards in the road.
What is My Miami Truck Accident Case Worth?
We must investigate your truck wreck to evaluate its worth. Otherwise, we’d be engaging in guesswork.
The following factors will have the most significant influence on your case:
- The extent of your medical costs and loss of salaries
- The emotional and psychological distress you’ve suffered
- Whether you contributed to the crash
- The strength of your negligence case
- Available assurance coverages
- And more
Calculating your financial losses can be challenging if you suffer serious or catastrophic injuries. We must consider your future medical needs and reduced earning capacity, each of which may require expert testimony.
Contact the truck accident attorneys at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today for a no-cost case review to discuss your case. We will help you understand what your case may be worth.
Why You Should Hire an Attorney After Your Semi-Truck or 18-Wheeler Accident
It’s incredibly beneficial to hire a lawyer after a truck accident. Some of the reasons to hire an attorney include:
- Access to experts. A truck accident attorney knows the ins and outs of the legal system and has access to experts that could help win your case. Depending on how the case plays out, hiring an expert to testify on your behalf could make the difference in winning or losing.
- Taking the case to court. If necessary, an attorney can take your case to court. Sometimes a trial is the best way to maximize the amount of compensation you receive. It can also motivate a difficult insurance company to develop a fair settlement offer.
- Negotiating with the other side. Lawyers know how to deal with stubborn entities and individuals. They know the other side’s tactics to minimize your claim and won’t let them get away with it.
- Putting you first. An experienced truck accident attorney will keep you informed throughout the entirety of your case and will make sure your interests are fully represented. This means being in constant communication with you and going over strategy each step of the way.
This list is far from complete. To learn more about what a Miami truck accident lawyer with Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers can do for you, give us a call today for a no-obligation consultation.
How Much Does it Cost to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney?
We understand that you could be dealing with mounting medical expenses, lost wages, and other financial consequences after a truck accident.
That’s why we operate on a contingency fee basis. You’ll pay us nothing upfront for your case, and you won’t pay us unless and until we win your case. We’ll take our fee as a percentage of your settlement award or verdict. We only get paid if you do.
Usually, this fee is around 33%, but it varies depending on the facts of your case. Call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
What Compensation is Available to Truck Accident Victims in Florida?
After a serious accident, you may be left with significant medical expenses and lost wages. Likewise, you may have suffered extensive losses.
Damages that may be available in your case include:
- Property damage
- Current doctor bills
- Upcoming medical charges related to your injuries
- Loss of income
- Missing or reduced earning capacity, benefits of employment, and disability
- Other non-economic losses, such as pain, agony, distress, anguish, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of life
Rare truck bump cases may be eligible for punitive damages. These damages punish a defendant for gross negligence or wanton disregard for human life.
Who Could Be Liable for My Truck Accident?
Many parties could be held liable for your truck accident, depending on the facts and circumstances. We’ll leave no stone unturned when pursuing compensation for your injuries. Some potentially liable parties include:
- The other driver or drivers involved in the accident
- The manufacturer of one of the vehicles (if a part was defective, for example)
- A governmental entity
- A property owner involved with the incident
We can give you more insight into who might be liable for your injuries during your free consultation. Call our truck accident lawyers in Miami today for assistance.
Am I Still Entitled to Compensation if I’m Being Blamed for a Truck Collision in Miami, FL?
The insurance provider may shift blame to you to limit or prevent your payout. That’s why it’s important to consult an experienced truck accident attorney if you are being blamed for a truck accident.
Many truck accidents in the city involve multiple blameworthy parties.
Florida uses a modified comparative negligence rule to assign liability between parties who share fault for a collision. Under this doctrine, you can get indemnity for your damages if you were 50% or less at fault for your injuries. However, your recovery will be reduced according to the share of liability.
We Will Pursue Compensation for All Your Truck Accident Injuries
At Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we understand the severity of most truck accidents. A crash with a commercial vehicle can cause devastating harm — even at low speeds.
We will help you pursue reimbursement for all the injuries you’ve sustained, including:
- Traumatic amputation
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Organ damage
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Crush injuries
- Broken bones
- Seat belt injuries
- Soft tissue wounds
Do not let the insurance adjuster minimize the severity of the harm you have suffered. Let us show the true impact on your life.
What Causes Most Truck Accidents?
According to the information retrieved by the Large Truck Crash Causation Study, negligent behavior and human error cause about 87% of truck accidents. Defective parts or the environment cause the remaining 13% of crashes.
Some of the most common causes of truck crashes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued drivers
- Improper lane use or lane change
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Unfamiliarity with the roadway
Truck drivers may be more prone to driving fatigued than other drivers as they must meet strict delivery deadlines. They may even violate hours-of-service regulations. A tired driver can be as dangerous as a drunk driver.
The large blind spots, longer stopping distance, and wide turn radius of commercial trucks can have as a result many more accidents.
Types of Miami Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can occur in many different ways. More than 60% of the fatalities in big rig accidents are passenger vehicle occupants.
Below are some of the most common types of truck accidents in the city of Miami.
For decades, rollover accidents have caused roughly one-third of all fatal vehicle crashes in the U.S. Also referred to as “overturn” accidents, rollovers occur when a truck ends up on its side or top. When a vehicle is in the path of a truck that can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, the risk of injuries or death is high. Rollover truck accidents can occur due to excessive speed, improperly loaded cargo, or improper turns.
Large trucks have substantially higher ground clearance than other motor vehicles. In an underride wreck, smaller vehicles are forced underneath the truck. The passenger compartment of a smaller vehicle can be sheared off, crushed, or trapped. There are no federal regulations for underride protectors on the sides or front of trucks.
A jackknife accident occurs when a trailer being pulled by a truck skids toward the truck in the shape of a “V.” A trailer can jackknife due to excessive speed, road hazards, weather conditions, or overloaded cargo. Once a trailer begins to jackknife, the driver usually has no control over it. A jackknifed rig on the highway can cause serious damage.
A rear-end accident is when one vehicle hits another one from behind. Due to their weight, fully loaded trucks may need as much as 20-30 times more distance to stop. Rear-end collisions can occur due to distracted driving, speeding, slippery road conditions, or faulty brakes. Motor vehicles that hit trucks from behind could suffer severe injuries from sliding under the truck carriage in an underride accident.
Other common types of truck collisions involve:
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
The immediate aftermath of a truck accident can be especially jarring, considering the sheer size of these vehicles. Here are a few things to keep in mind about what to do after an accident:
- Remain at the scene. It’s essential to remain at the scene and make sure you and everyone else involved are okay. Fleeing the scene could hurt your case for compensation down the line.
- Receive medical attention. If you’ve suffered an injury, make sure you get medical care as soon as possible. Even if you’re unsure if you sustained an injury, visiting a doctor could be worth visiting. Not all injuries are immediately apparent.
- Do not accept blame. Do not make any statements to anyone that admit fault for the accident. These statements could be used against you later on.
- Alert the authorities. This is usually required by law. Generally, a phone call to 911 is the best option for alerting the proper authorities.
It’s also a good idea to contact a Miami truck accident lawyer soon after the accident. An attorney can walk you through your options in real-time to make sure you handle the accident scene properly.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Truck Accident in Florida?
To reclaim payment after your truck wreck, you must prove the truck driver or the trucking company was negligent.
Negligence requires proof that:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care
- They breached this duty
- The breach caused your incident
- You suffered damages as a result of the incident
Multiple parties may be liable for a truck wreck, including a truck driver, trucking companies, truck manufacturers, cargo loading companies, trucks maintenance businesses, or other car drivers.
Our truck accident attorneys will collect as much evidence as possible to support your claim. They may utilize:
- Inspection and maintenance logs for the truck
- The truck driver’s logs
- Data from the truck’s black box
- Results of an NTSB investigation
- Police accident report
- Internal hiring and training practices of the trucking company
Our law firm works with top experts for incident reconstruction to help us interpret proof and gather all the needed information. Their expert testimony can be invaluable at proving causation and negligent behavior.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Truck Accident in Miami?
Historically, the statute of limitations provided you with four years to take legal action. However, the state updated its law on March 24, 2023. Therefore, if your Miami truck crash occurred after that time, you will need to file your lawsuit within the two-year deadline.
You also have two years to file a wrongful death claim. In some cases, you may have even less time.
It’s vital to be proactive to protect your case. Delays can weaken your claim. Contact our legal team as soon as possible to begin building your case.
Contact a Miami Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Have you been seriously hurt in a semi-truck, trailer, or another commercial vehicle wreck? Don’t let an uncaring insurance provider get out of paying you the fair indemnification you deserve.
Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers is committed to fighting for you and pursuing indemnification for your financial security and quality of life. Contact our office for a no-cost appointment with a Miami truck accident lawyer ready to help you.
Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers Review
Read more of our client reviews here.
- iCare Chiropractic, P.A. – 5226 W Flagler St, Miami, FL 33134
- Downtown Miami Chiropractor – 28 W Flagler St Suite 601, Miami, FL 33130
- Brickell Family Chiropractic – Paul Ruggiano – 1793 SW 3rd Ave, Miami, FL 33129
- Lopez Chiropractic & Massage – 2455 W Flagler ST Suites #2 & #3, Miami, FL 33135
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.