Have you suffered a catastrophic injury in Miami, Florida? If someone else’s carelessness caused your injury, you deserve to hold them accountable. Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers has represented accident victims in Miami-Dade County and South Florida since 2007. Our Miami catastrophic injury lawyer offers a free consultation at (305) 937-0191.
Your injury may affect your future, preventing you from working, enjoying hobbies, or helping with household chores. We can help you pursue the compensation you deserve to preserve your quality of life. Contact our Miami personal injury office today.
Table of Contents
How Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You After a Catastrophic Injury in Miami, FL
The more serious your injuries, the more important it is to work with an experienced and aggressive Miami personal injury lawyer to recover compensation. Insurance companies invest a great deal of money and effort into fighting catastrophic injury claims. They know these claims have high values and will affect their bottom lines. You deserve an advocate to stand up for your rights and pursue the full compensation you deserve.
Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers was founded in 2007 by Sagi Shaked Esq. to help accident victims in Miami, Florida. Our team includes Board Certified civil litigation attorneys, Top 100 trial lawyers, and Avvo “Top Attorneys.” Our award-winning law firm only accepts a limited number of cases to guarantee we give each client the personal attention they need.
Here is how our Miami personal injury law firm will help you after your catastrophic accident:
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident to identify liable parties and preserve evidence
- Work with experts and specialists to prove causation, liability, and your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance company for fair compensation
- Take your case to court to protect your rights to full compensation for your injuries
Do not trust the insurance company to have your best interests at heart. Our team will use our 100 years of combined experience to vindicate your rights. Call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with a Miami catastrophic injury lawyer.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
A catastrophic injury usually refers to a serious and life-changing injury that causes permanent impairment or necessitates long-term medical care. Catastrophic injuries usually affect the spine, brain, or spinal cord, but they can involve any significant loss of function in the body.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
A life-changing, catastrophic injury in Miami can include any of the following:
- Moderate to severe brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Paralysis, such as quadriplegia, paraplegia, and hemiplegia
- Significant nerve damage
- Severe burns
- Vision loss
- Significant organ damage
- Serious dog bites
- Congenital disabilities
- Serious stroke
Have you suffered a serious injury that requires ongoing medical treatment or has resulted in long-term cognitive or physical impairment? If your injury has had a major impact on your quality of life or ability to work, it might be considered catastrophic.
Long-Term Consequences of a Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries affect your life in many ways.
After suffering a catastrophic injury, you may face potential long-term consequences, including:
- Major lifestyle changes. You may be left with limited mobility that affects daily tasks of living, work, hobbies, and activities.
- Inability to work. Catastrophic injuries are often disabling and can prevent you from returning to your career field or performing any type of work.
- Chronic pain. This may make every day a struggle.
- Mental health issues. Many victims of a catastrophic injury deal with hopelessness, PTSD, depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.
- Financial hardships. Significant and long-term medical expenses can cause financial insecurity, especially if you cannot work.
- Relationship problems. Suffering a catastrophic injury can impact friendships, romantic relationships, and familial relationships. You may be unable to play an active role in child-rearing or enjoy intimate relations with your spouse. Mental health issues, chronic pain, and stress can also affect relationships.
A catastrophic injury, by its very definition, has a disastrous impact on your life and future. At Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we are committed to helping you hold the responsible party accountable. Let us help you seek full compensation to preserve your quality of life and financial security.
How Common Are Catastrophic Injuries?
Sadly, catastrophic injuries are more common than many people believe.
The following statistics shed light on how many catastrophic injuries occur every year:
- 185,000: The number of amputations performed in the U.S. every year. Around 45% are due to trauma.
- 288,000: The number of people hospitalized for traumatic brain injuries every year. There are 13.5 million people in the U.S. living with a TBI-related disability.
- 294,000: The number of people in the U.S. living with a spinal cord injury. About 1 in 50 Americans have some degree of paralysis. There are 17,800 new spinal cord injuries per year.
- 795,000: The number of people who suffer strokes every year in the U.S. Strokes kill 140,000 people per year and are a leading cause of long-term disability.
- 1.1 million: The number of burns that require medical care every year. Of these, 50,000 require hospitalization, and 20,000 are major burns covering at least 25% of the body.
These statistics show how common life-changing injuries are.
What is My Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
A catastrophic injury case is difficult to value; no two cases are alike. However, the severity of the injury and its impact on your life means these cases are often worth $1 million or more. This sum takes into account your personal losses like pain and suffering and reduced quality of life and your long-term medical care and diminished earning capacity.
Catastrophic injury claims often take longer to settle or reach a verdict than other injury cases. Insurance companies invest a lot of resources to fight high-value claims. It may also take you time to reach maximum medical improvement (MMI) and to build enough evidence and expert testimony to substantiate your current and future losses.
The best way to assess the potential value of your case is through a free consultation. Contact Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case review so we can evaluate the unique factors in your case.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Catastrophic Injury in Miami, Florida?
A personal injury claim allows you to seek compensation for all the losses you suffered after your accident. This compensation includes economic damages for financial losses and non-economic damages for personal losses without intrinsic financial value. In a catastrophic injury case, both types of damages tend to be significant.
Financial or economic damages compensate you for:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity, employment benefits, and disability
- Medical bills for the treatment you have already received
- Future medical care for ongoing medical needs
- Property damage
- Household or domestic services
- In-home health care
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Rehabilitation and therapy
Courts or insurance companies may multiply these economic damages by a factor of up to 5 to value your non-economic losses, which do not have a tangible monetary value. Your non-economic damages will include pain and suffering, anguish, distress, reduced quality of life, lost enjoyment of life, disfigurement, and loss of consortium.
The damages you’ve suffered are likely significant. Therefore, it’s crucial to consult with an experienced Miami catastrophic injury attorney as soon as possible. Do not allow an uncaring insurance company to undervalue the severity of your losses.
What Causes Most Catastrophic Injuries in Miami, FL?
Any type of accident can potentially result in a catastrophic injury. However, most life-changing injuries are due to one of the following:
- Traffic accidents. A catastrophic injury can occur after a serious truck accident, car accident, or motorcycle accident. Motor vehicle accidents cause 39% of spinal cord injuries and 17% of traumatic brain injuries. They are also responsible for most traumatic amputations.
- Slip and fall accidents. Falls are the second most common cause of spinal cord injuries and cause over one-third of traumatic brain injuries. They are also the top cause of workers’ compensation claims.
- Medical malpractice. Medical providers are human and prone to making mistakes. Medical errors kill around 440,000 people every year.
- Work-related accidents. Workplace accidents are a leading cause of catastrophic injuries, particularly in industries like construction. These life-changing injuries can result from slip and fall accidents, falls from a height, heavy machinery, toxic exposure, traumatic amputation, electrical shock, falling objects, and more.
- Contact sports. Spinal cord injuries and brain injuries are both common forms of catastrophic injuries in contact sports. About 8% of all spinal cord injuries in the U.S. are sports-related.
- Violence. Victims of assault, attempted homicide, or shootings can endure spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, organ damage, paralysis, and more.
If you have suffered a life-changing injury due to someone else’s negligence, you may have a personal injury claim. A Miami catastrophic injury lawyer at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to fight for you.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
You have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit after a catastrophic injury. The Florida statute of limitations for most personal injury and negligence claims is two years.
Note that state law historically implemented a four-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits. However, it was revised on March 24, 2023, shortening the statutory deadline. Accordingly, if your catastrophic injury occurred after 3/24/23, you’ll likely need to take legal action within two years of the injury date.
Medical malpractice claims also typically have a two-year statute of limitations.
Depending on the circumstances, you may have more or less time to file your claim. However, it’s crucial to be proactive in preserving your claim and gathering evidence. Call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free case review with a compassionate Miami personal injury lawyer ready to help you.
Contact a Miami Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
A catastrophic accident can change your life in a moment. Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers will take on the insurance company on your behalf to fight for the full compensation you need.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with a Miami catastrophic injury lawyer. There is no obligation and no out-of-pocket fees. You pay no attorney’s fees unless we recover a verdict or settlement for you.
Our personal injury law firm in Miami, FL also provides:
- Car Accident Attorneys in Miami, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Miami
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Miami
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Miami
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Uber Accident Attorney in Miami, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Miami
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Miami, FL