Did you or a loved one sustain a brain injury in an accident in Aventura, Florida? Serious brain injuries can change a family’s entire lives. An experienced Aventura brain injury lawyer at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight for justice. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your family’s pain and suffering.
Our lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience. We’ve helped injured clients recover hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation over the years.
Table of Contents
How Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Brain Injury Claim in Aventura, FL
A severe brain injury can alter a person’s life forever. It can also be extremely traumatizing to live with the knowledge that your injury could have been prevented.
Our experienced Aventura personal injury attorneys are passionate about helping our injured clients get justice. We can’t turn back the clock and restore your health. We can, however, help you recover the money you need to protect your future.
At Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, our team includes Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyers and members of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. We’ve been recognized by Super Lawyers for our excellent legal services time and time again.
When you hire our legal team to protect your legal rights, you can count on us to:
- Determine who caused your injuries
- Identify everyone who can be held liable for your losses
- Consult with experts who can help prove various aspects of your case
- Calculate the fair value of your claim
- Defend you if someone tries to blame you for causing your own injuries
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and defense teams for the maximum compensation possible
If you were injured, the clock is already ticking. Contact our Aventura personal injury lawyers to learn more about the benefits of creating an attorney-client relationship today.
Brain Injuries: An Overview
A blow to the head can cause any number of injuries. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is any type of head injury caused by some type of external force. Non-traumatic brain injuries, on the other hand, are caused by some type of internal factor (such as a stroke or infection).
There are two primary types of traumatic brain injury: open-head injuries and closed-head injuries.
Open-head injuries include any type of damage to the brain tissue that occurs because the skull is penetrated (such as a gunshot wound). Closed-head injuries, on the other hand, occur when the brain is jolted violently within the skull. The force of the brain moving back and forth can be enough to damage the sensitive brain tissue.
We Handle All Types of Brain Injury Cases in Aventura
At Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of brain injury claims, including those involving:
- Contusions, or bruising of the brain tissue
- Focal injuries, which are localized injuries to one part of the brain
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAI), where the brain is twisted or rotated, damaging two sides of the brain
- Birth injuries
- Hemorrhages, or severe bleeding in the brain
- Intracranial hematomas, which are blood clots in the brain
- Edema, which is swelling within the brain
- Hypoxia, which is caused by oxygen deprivation
- Coup-Contrecoup brain injuries
- Skull fractures
Never underestimate the potential impact of a serious brain injury. If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, call our accident attorneys to discuss your personal injury claim today.
How Common Are Brain Injuries?
Severe brain injuries are not uncommon. According to CDC research, about 64,000 people in the United States died due to traumatic brain injuries in 2020. Over 223,000 people were hospitalized due to traumatic brain injuries in 2019.
Falls are by far the leading cause of TBIs in the U.S.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Brain Damage in Aventura?
Brain injuries can be extremely serious. That doesn’t mean they’re always immediately obvious. Some types of brain injuries don’t show symptoms for hours or even days after head trauma. That means it’s especially important to seek medical care and monitor your symptoms carefully after an accident.
Some of the most common signs that you have suffered a brain injury include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Slurred speech
- Confusion or memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Ringing in the ears
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- A persistent headache
- Personality or behavioral changes
- Unusual fatigue or difficulty sleeping
- Problems with balance or difficulty walking
- Weakness or numbness in the fingers and toes
- Dilated pupils
Take these symptoms extremely seriously. Prompt medical attention is often the only way to protect yourself from a worsening condition.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Serious Brain Injuries in Aventura, FL?
The brain controls the entire body. The long-term consequences of a brain injury can vary depending on several different factors, including:
- The region of the brain impacted by the injury
- The severity of the injury
- The type of injury involved
Examples of the types of long-term consequences that victims of serious brain injuries often experience include:
- Cognitive disabilities
- Memory loss
- Loss of mobility
- Loss of vision
- Loss of the ability to speak or understand speech
- Seizure disorders
- Personality changes
- Loss of inhibitions and behavioral disorders
- Wrongful death
Serious brain injuries can result in a need for around-the-clock care. Some victims never fully recover from their injuries. If you or a family member are struggling with the aftermath of a brain injury, contact our personal injury law firm for a free case review today.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries in Aventura, Florida?
Some of the most common causes of brain injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Sports accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Violence and gunshot wounds
- Medical malpractice
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Near-drownings and swimming pool accidents
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Premises liability
- Negligent security
- Nursing home abuse
Do you have questions about your legal options after an accident? Contact our Aventura brain injury attorneys for a free case evaluation today.
What Is the Value of My Aventura Brain Injury Case?
The value of a personal injury case depends on many unique factors, including:
- The nature of your injury
- How the injury will change your life going forward
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The estimated cost of your future medical care, rehabilitation, and out-of-pocket costs
- Whether you lose income during recovery
- Whether the injury will impact your future earning capacity
- The circumstances of the accident and injury
Putting a dollar value on a personal injury claim is always a challenge. Fortunately, our lawyers in Aventura have decades of experience between us. We’ll often bring in experts who can help us anticipate your future costs–and who can testify about the impact the brain injury has had on your family’s quality of life.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Brain Injuries in Aventura, Florida?
Examples of the types of compensation that you might receive if your case is successful include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Rehabilitative care
- Nursing care
- Long-term care
- In-home assistance
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of your independence
- Damages for wrongful death, including funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and more
With an experienced attorney by your side, you’re much more likely to recover the maximum compensation available. Call our lawyers today to learn more about how we can help you recover every dollar you deserve.
How Long Do I Have To File a Brain Injury Lawsuit Under Florida Law?
The deadline for taking legal action in Florida depends on the date you suffered the injury.
The two-year statute of limitations applies if your injury occurred on March 24, 2023, or after. The four-year deadline still applies if you were injured before March 24, 2023.
It’s also possible that a different deadline may apply. The statute of limitations depends on how your brain injury occurred. For example, if you were a victim of medical negligence, you have two years from the date you discovered the injury to file a lawsuit for damages.
Contact an Aventura Brain Injury Attorney for a Free Consultation
If you sustained a brain injury, our lawyers are here to help you hold the responsible parties accountable for your damages. Contact Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today to learn more about how an Aventura brain injury attorney can help with your case. As always, your initial consultation is completely free of charge.
Aventura Brain Injuries Blog Posts
- What Are the Causes and Effects of Brain Stem Injuries?
- Symptoms of Brain Bleed After a Head Injury
- 4 Types of Brain Injuries and 3 Levels of Severity
Highly Rated Neurologists Near Us
- Gables Neurology: Andrew Lerman, MD – 2601 SW 37th Ave #601, Miami, FL 33133
- First Choice Neurology Miami Midtown Dr. Jeff Gelblum – 3801 Biscayne Blvd STE 140, Miami, FL 33137
- Roberto F Lopez-Alberola, MD – 1601 NW 12th Ave Suite 1044, Miami, FL 33136
- Dr. Alyssa D. Pensirikul, MD – 1150 NW 14th St #309, Miami, FL 33136
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our webs
Additional Brain Injury Resources and Information
- Florida Brain Injury Support Groups
- Florida Health – Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program
- Florida Health – Deaths From Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Brain Injury Association of Florida, Inc.
Brain Injury Lawyer Review
Read more of our client reviews here.