Medication errors are a common type of medical malpractice in Miami, FL. They may occur in doctor’s offices, pharmacies, hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities. Unfortunately, a medication error can result in painful side effects, permanent impairments, or wrongful death.
The Miami medication error attorneys of Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers can help if you’ve suffered from a doctor or pharmacist’s medication error. Our lawyers have over a century of combined experience representing injury victims. We fight to protect our clients’ rights when a medical professional causes them harm.
Contact our law firm today at (305) 937-0191 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with one of our experienced Miami medical malpractice lawyers.
How Our Miami Medical Malpractice Lawyers Can Help You With a Claim for Medication Errors
Patients must receive the correct medications to treat their health conditions. Medication errors can worsen a patient’s condition or even cause death. If a medical provider caused you harm through a medication error, you can pursue compensation.
However, the process of pursuing a medical malpractice claim can be time-consuming and expensive. It helps to have an experienced law firm handling your case.
When you hire our Miami medication error lawyers, you can expect us to:
- Search for evidence that explains how the medication error occurred
- Identify all parties who are liable for your damages
- Work with medical experts to determine how the medication error caused your injuries
- Document your damages to maximize recovery
- File all insurance claims and negotiate with the insurance companies
- Monitor deadlines for filing a medical malpractice lawsuit
Call our office to schedule a free case review with one of our Miami medication error lawyers.
What is a Medication Error?
A medication error is a preventable event that can harm a patient. The Food and Drug Administration receives more than 100,000 reports annually related to medication errors.
Between 7,000 and 9,000 deaths occur each year in the United States because of medication errors. In addition to deaths, thousands of people suffer side effects and other conditions because of drug interactions and mistakes involving medications.
What Causes Medication Errors in Miami, FL?
Medication errors are generally the result of avoidable mistakes and errors made by healthcare professionals. Negligence and intentional acts are the underlying reasons for many of the errors and mistakes with medication.
Some common causes of medication errors include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to verify the correct spelling of a medication to ensure the correct medication is dispensed
- Providing the wrong dosage of medication
- Failure to review a patient’s charge before dispensing medication
- Failing to check the patient’s medical history for drug interactions or allegories
- Mistakes by physicians when writing prescriptions and
- Prescribing the wrong medication to a patient
- Failing to provide adequate instructions and warnings to patients
- Mistakes made by a pharmacist when he fills a prescription
- Failure to follow safety protocols regarding securing, handling, and dispensing medications
- Miscommunication between physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other health care professionals
In some cases, general negligence and carelessness are the causes of medication errors. For example, health care professionals may rush to complete tasks, work when drowsy or fatigued, or work under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Daydreaming or merely not paying enough attention to their job can result in deadly mistakes with medications.
Injuries and Damages Caused by Medication Errors in Miami
A patient may suffer serious and debilitating side effects from taking the wrong medication. They may require intensive medical care. The person could suffer a deadly allergic reaction from taking the wrong medication in some cases.
Possible results from taking the wrong medication or the incorrect dose of medication include:
- Heart attack
- Brain damage
- Allergic reaction
- Birth injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Impairments and disabilities
- Wrongful death
A person who takes the wrong medication or the incorrect dose may not be able to work. They may require extensive medical treatment. Therefore, in addition to the pain and suffering they experience, they also incur economic damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and personal care. Their quality of life can be severely diminished.
Who Can I Sue for a Medication Error?
The person or medical facility responsible for giving you the wrong medication can be liable for your damages. However, you have the burden of proving that the at-fault party was negligent. In addition, their mistake must have caused your injuries and damages.
Your time to file a lawsuit for medication errors is limited by Florida’s statute of limitations. Therefore, it is in your best interest to contact our office as soon as possible to discuss how we can help you recover compensation for injuries caused by a medication error.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Medical Malpractice Law Firm in Miami
We understand that you have been through a traumatic experience. The medication error may have caused health problems and financial hardships for you or a family member.
Our legal team is ready to help. Contact our law office today to schedule your free appointment with one of our medical malpractice attorneys in Miami, FL.