If you or a family member were injured in an electric scooter accident, an attorney in Miami, Florida can help you recover the fair compensation you deserve. A Miami electric scooter accident lawyer at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to win compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Our lawyers are committed to holding negligent parties accountable for their actions. Collectively, we have over 100 years of experience fighting for accident victims across South Florida–and we’ve won hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation over the years.
Table of Contents
How Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Electric Scooter Accident in Miami
Bird, Lime, Lyft, and other motor scooters companies now offer an inexpensive and convenient way to get around Miami. Unfortunately, riding an electric scooter can quickly become expensive if you’re injured in an accident. A Miami personal injury lawyer can help you fight for the money you need to move forward.
Clients have trusted the team at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers to protect their interests since we opened our doors in 2007. Our legal team has more than a century of combined experience.
When you choose us, you’ll have a trial lawyer to:
- Provide sound legal advice and guidance
- Investigate to determine the cause of your accident
- Invest resources and hire experts to build the strong case you deserve
- Protect you if the insurance company blames you for the accident
- Handle all insurance negotiations and communications with the defense lawyers
Our Miami personal injury attorneys are serious about advocating for our injured clients’ rights. To learn more about how we’ll put our legal knowledge and skills to work for you, call today. Your initial consultation is completely free of charge.
How Common Are Electric Scooter Accidents?
Electric scooters have become extremely popular since they were first introduced onto the streets of Miami. However, e-scooters are controversial. While the city of Miami is developing new safety regulations for e-scooters, safety rules haven’t prevented accidents in other major U.S. cities.
E-scooter accidents have resulted in about 50,000 emergency room visits between 2017 and 2019, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. At least 27 people have been killed in electric scooter accidents.
Were you injured in an electric scooter accident in Miami? Call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers today. We’ll evaluate your case and determine the best way to protect your legal rights.
What Is My Miami Electric Scooter Accident Case Worth?
We know money doesn’t really erase the fact that you’ve suffered a serious injury. Despite that, recovering fair compensation is important to your financial security. Our lawyers can help you understand how much your personal injury case is worth during a free case review.
Generally, the value of your personal injury claim depends on a number of different factors, including:
- The cost of your medical treatment and out-of-pocket expenses
- Whether the injury prevents you from working
- Your future prognosis
- Whether you contributed to the accident
- The amount of insurance coverage available
Your case is different from anyone else’s. Contrary to what the insurance company might claim, your case value shouldn’t depend on a calculator or formula. You can count on our lawyers to invest the time to calculate the fair value of your case.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Electric Scooter Accident Victims?
At Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers will work to recover a settlement that accounts for both your economic damages and non-economic damages.
Your economic damages are your financial expenses. They might include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future lost income
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages are your more personal losses.
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Anxiety, depression or PTSD
- Loss of consortium
Our lawyers will work to identify and value the damages you’ve sustained. We may even bring in expert witnesses to help calculate your anticipated future losses.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
Under Florida’s modified comparative fault laws, you won’t lose your right to damages if your share of fault is 50% or less. Instead, your compensation will be reduced to account for your share of fault. However, if your apportioned responsibility exceeds 50%, you cannot recover damages.
Insurance companies tend to blame the e-scooter driver for causing the accident. They might not have the evidence to back up these claims. If you’re being blamed for getting hurt, call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation today.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Electric Scooter Accident Injuries
Electric scooter accident injuries can range from mild to severe. Over a four-year period, hospitals treated nearly 40,000 e-scooter accident victims for broken bones, head injuries and cuts and bruises. The most severe injuries tend to occur when the e-scooter rider is involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Some of the most common injuries sustained by electric scooter accident victims in Miami-Dade County include:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Soft tissue damage, including strains and sprains
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Back injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Burns and road rash
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Studies show that electric scooter accident victims suffer many of the same injuries as bicycle accident victims. However, those injuries can be more frequent and severe because many e-scooter riders lack experience operating the scooter.
What Causes Most Electric Scooter Accidents in Miami, Florida?
The city of Miami has introduced safety measures designed to prevent accidents. Thus far, they encourage riders to wear a helmet and limit the number of e-scooters allowed on the streets. Still, accidents can happen in any number of ways.
Some of the most common causes of electric scooter accidents in Miami include:
- Inexperienced drivers
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Lack of dedicated bike lanes or infrastructure for e-scooter riders
- Riding in prohibited areas
- Riding double on the e-scooter
- Speeding down city sidewalks
- Parking e-scooters in dangerous locations
- Weaving through pedestrian traffic
- Aggressive and reckless driving
- Failure to leave enough space when passing
- Dangerous lane changes
- Dangerous turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Riding the e-scooter while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Road hazards, including potholes and crumbling pavement
- Defective e-scooters and steering malfunctions
- Defective brakes and batteries
- Power surges or electrical problems
Were you or a loved one injured in an accident involving an electric scooter? Our lawyers in Miami can help you understand your legal rights and options. All you have to do is call to schedule a free case review today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
Electric scooters are relatively new in Miami. Still, the same personal injury laws that apply in car accident cases apply in cases involving e-scooter crashes.
Most of the time, to recover compensation, you’ll have to prove that the responsible party was negligent. Negligence is a failure to exercise reasonable caution.
More specifically, you’ll have to establish:
- The defendant owed you a legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- A direct causal link between the breach and your accident
- The damages you’ve sustained
The insurance company will want to see evidence to support each element of your negligence claim.
Our Miami electric scooter accident attorneys will locate the evidence you need, including:
- Police and accident reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Photos of the accident scene
- Video surveillance footage
- Information about the e-scooter company’s safety record
- Information about the e-scooter’s inspection and maintenance history
- Your medical records and statements from your doctors
If the e-scooter was defective, you may have a strict liability claim against a product manufacturer. You don’t always have to prove negligence if the scooter or a safety feature was defective. Instead, you’ll be required to submit evidence to prove the defect existed.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
Under Florida law, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The two-year clock starts to run on the day of your accident.
Note that historically, Florida’s deadline for filing negligence-based lawsuits was four years. However, the law was revised on March 24, 2023. If your Miami e-scooter accident occurred after that date, you’ll need to take legal action within two years.
If you miss the deadline, you lose your right to sue for damages–so call our legal team for help as soon as possible.
Contact a Miami Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you were injured in an electric scooter accident in Miami Beach, West Palm Beach, or North Miami, help is just a phone call away. Call Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers to speak with an experienced Miami electric scooter accident lawyer today. We’ll do everything possible to recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury law firm in Miami, FL also provides:
- Car Accident Attorneys in Miami, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Miami
- Dog Bite Attorneys in Miami
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Miami
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Miami
- Uber Accident Attorney in Miami, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Miami
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Miami, FL