How To Obtain a Car Accident Report in Miami, FL
December 14, 2023 | Sagi Shaked | Car Accidents
After a car accident, you may be wondering how to obtain compensation for your injuries. Building a claim for compensation begins with gathering evidence. Car accident reports, which detail the circumstances of the accident, are a crucial part of your case. Even though they don’t constitute admissible evidence in court, they can help support your claim for compensation, as well as protect you against an incorrect allocation of fault.
Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers has over 100 years of combined experience serving accident victims and their families in Miami, FL. We aim to empower our clients with the information to navigate their injuries. This blog will provide a brief overview of how to obtain a car accident report in the area.
Requesting Your Accident Report From the Police Station
After being involved in a car accident in Miami, one of the crucial steps in building your case is obtaining the accident report. One place where you can obtain this report is the sheriff’s department or police station for the area in which the accident took place (not necessarily your local police department).
Individuals often report crashes to the police for insurance purposes. Police officers may also arrive at the scene of the accident and create their own reports.
In order to obtain your accident report from the police station, you should complete the following steps:
- Contact the specific precinct that responded to your accident. Most police departments have a designated records division or a traffic bureau handling accident reports.
- Provide details about the accident, including the date, time, and location. You might also need to provide personal information and the case number if available.
- There might be a nominal fee associated with obtaining the report, usually payable via cash or check. Some police departments might also offer online access for a fee.
- Request the report promptly after the accident. It might take a few days to several weeks for the report to be available, depending on the department’s procedures and workload.
Police departments are required to make these reports available to the public within a few days after the report is complete. You can request this report to support your claim.
Requesting Your Accident Report from the Florida State Department of Motor Vehicles
Alternatively, the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) can also provide accident reports. In order to obtain your accident report from the FLHSMV, you should complete the following steps:
- Visit the official website and navigate to the crash report request section.
- Fill out the required forms. Provide accurate details about the accident, including the date, location, and parties involved.
- Be prepared to pay the necessary fees, usually done online using a credit or debit card.
- The DMV might take the same amount of time as the police station to process and provide the accident report.
This method of obtaining a car accident report may be more convenient than contacting your local police station. However, the timelines for both methods are similar.
What To Do If You Believe the Police Report Is Incorrect
Sometimes, accident reports might contain errors or incomplete information. If you believe there are inaccuracies in the report, you should contact the investigating officer or the police department’s records division to discuss the discrepancies.
In order to make the process go smoothly, you should follow their procedures for requesting amendments or corrections to the report. This might involve submitting supplemental information or evidence to support your claim. Document any conversations or correspondence regarding the corrections made to ensure accuracy in your case.
Why You Need the Accident Report for Your Case
The accident report is a critical piece of supporting documentation for your case. It includes essential details such as:
- Parties involved
- Witness statements
- Officer’s assessment of the accident scene
- Diagrams or descriptions of the accident
This report serves as a foundational document for insurance claims and legal proceedings. It helps establish the facts surrounding the accident, aiding in the determination of fault and liability.
However, obtaining your accident report is just the beginning. Navigating the complexities of a car accident case requires legal expertise.
Our Accident Lawyers Can Help You Leverage Your Report
At Shaked Law, our experienced team of personal injury attorneys can review and interpret the accident report to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your case. We can even obtain a copy of your report on your behalf.
From there, we will leverage the report and other evidence to build a strong case on your behalf. Our attorneys will guide you through the legal process, ensuring your rights are protected and advocating for fair compensation.
In conclusion, obtaining your car accident report in Miami is a crucial step in making a successful case. Your accident report can help you understand the details surrounding your accident. With the support of experienced attorneys at Shaked Law Personal Injury Lawyers, you can navigate the complexities of your case and pursue rightful compensation.